Starting Their Cloud Transformation Journey
The cloud brings many advantages to both companies and their employees, including unlimited access and seamless collaboration. However, to unleash the full power of cloud-based collaboration, a company must select the right collaboration technology that fits their business needs and ensures employees adopt the technology and changes in practices and processes. This ultimately benefits the business through increased productivity and satisfaction.
In early 2019, an international compliance firm with around 800 employees contacted AIS to help migrate multiple email accounts into a single Office 365 (O365) Exchange account. They invited AIS to continue their cloud journey and help them:
- Understand their existing business processes and pain points across multiple time zones, countries, departments, and teams.
- Provide their employees with a secure, reliable, and integrated solution to effective communication and collaboration.
- Increase employee productivity by improving file and knowledge sharing and problem-solving.
- Reduce cost from licensing fees for products duplicating features already available through the company’s enterprise O365 license.
Kicking Off a Customer Immersion Experience
First, AIS provided a Microsoft Customer Immersion Experience (CIE) demonstration, which served as the foundational step to introduce all O365 tools. After receiving stakeholder feedback, needs, and concerns, we collaboratively determined the best order for rolling out the O365 applications. The client selected to move forward with Microsoft Teams adoption as the first step to implementing collaboration software in the organization.
Pilots for Microsoft Teams Adoption
Next, we conducted a pilot with two departments to quickly bring benefits to the organization without a large cost investment and to gather insights that would inform the overall Teams adoption plan and strategy for the entire organization. We confirmed with pilot study employees that they saw and welcomed the benefits that Microsoft Teams provides, including:
- Reduced internal emails.
- Seamless communication and collaboration among (remote) teams/departments.
- Increased productivity, efficiency, and transparency.
- Centralized and accessible location for files, documents, and resources in Teams.
The pilot study also found that adopting Microsoft Teams in the organization would require a paradigm shift. Many employees were used to email communication, including sending attachments back and forth that was hard to track. In addition, while some departments had sophisticated collaboration tools, a common collaboration tool across the company did not exist. For web conferencing, for example, different departments preferred different tools, such as GoToMeeting and WebEx, and most of them incurred subscription fees. Employees had to install multiple tools on their computers to collaborate across departmental boundaries.
QUESTIONS ABOUT TEAMS ADOPTION PROCESS?
Embracing Benefits of Microsoft Teams with Organizational Change Management (OCM)
To help employees understand the benefits of Teams, embrace the new tool, and willingly navigate the associated changes. For the organization-wide deployment and Microsoft Teams adoption, we formed a project team with different roles, including: a Project Manager, Change Manager, UX researcher, Business Analyst, and Cloud Engineer. Organizational Change Management (OCM), User Experience (UX), and business analysis were as critical as technical aspects of the cloud implementation.
Building on each other’s expertise, the project team worked collaboratively and closely with technical and business leaders at the company to:
- Guide communication efforts to drive awareness of the project and support it.
- Identify levers that would drive or hinder adoption and plan ways to promote or mitigate.
- Equip department leaders with champions and facilitate end-user Teams adoption best practices.
- Guide end users on how to thrive using Teams through best practices and relevant business processes.
- Provide data analytics and insights to support target adoption rates and customize training.
- Use an agile approach to resolve both technical issues and people’s pain points, including using Teams for private chats, channel messages, and meetings.
- Develop a governance plan that addressed technical and business evolution, accounting for the employee experience.
Cutting Costs & Boosting Collaboration
At the end of the 16-week engagement, AIS helped the client achieve its goals of enhanced collaboration, cost savings, and 90% Teams use with positive employee feedback. The company was well-positioned to achieve 100% by the agreed-upon target date.
Our OCM approach significantly contributed to our project success, which is grounded in the Prosci ADKAR® framework, a leading framework for change management based on 20 years of research. As Prosci described on their website, “ADKAR is an acronym that represents the five tangible and concrete outcomes that people need to achieve for lasting change”:
- Awareness of the need for change
- Desire to support the change
- Knowledge of how to change
- Ability to demonstrate skills and behaviors
- Reinforcement to make the change stick
The OCM designed was to provide busy executives, leaders, and end-users with key support and insights for action to achieve each outcome necessary for Teams adoption efficiently and effectively.
If you would like to participate in a CIE demonstration or learn more about adopting cloud-based collaboration tools and practices in your company, we are here to help!
READ MORE ABOUT OUR SUCCESS WITH
ACA COMPLIANCE GROUP